Avery Fisher Hall, Broadway & W. 65th St.
Venue Description: Founded in 1842, the New York Philharmonic is the oldest symphony orchestra in the U.S. and is one of the oldest in the world. It performed its 15,000th concert in 2010--a milestone unmatched by any other symphony orchestra. The Philharmonic continues to play more than 180 concerts a year. Throughout its history, the orchestra gave the U.S. premieres of works such as Beethoven's Symphonies No. 8 and 9 and Brahms's Symphony No. 4.
The Philharmonic boasts major contemporary works and composers each season, including On the Transmigration of Souls, written by John Adams to commemorate September 11, 2001. This production went on to receive the 2003 Pulitzer Prize for Music, and the CD of the concert performed by the orchestra in 2002 collected three Grammy Awards. Now world renowned, the New York Philharmonic has played in 430 cities in 63 countries on five continents. They have made nearly 2,000 recordings since 1917, with more than 500 currently available.
In addition, radio broadcasts known as "The New York Philharmonic This Week" began in 1922, and are now syndicated nationally 52 weeks a year. Programs geared towards kids and teens introduce classical music at a young age. Very Young People's and Young People's Concerts explore a range of orchestral music and Phil Teens include a pre-concert talk and a magnificent performance. Lincoln Center houses a variety of restaurants in its Avery Fisher Hall.
The New York Philharmonic's box office is at Avery Fisher Hall, on the corner of Broadway and 65th Street. Tickets can be purchased Monday-Saturday 10am-6pm and Sunday 12-5pm. On performance nights, the box office closes 30 minutes after the performance begins.
To order by phone, call the box office at 212-875-5656, open the same hours as the box office; a service charge of $8 per ticket is applied to phone orders. Tickets can also be ordered online at nyphil.org any time except 1:45am-2:15am; online tickets must be ordered at least three hours in advance. Students can purchase student rush tickets for $12.50 for select concerts up to 10 days in advance and are subject to availability.
Concerts are held at Lincoln Center, on Broadway between West 62nd and 65th streets. The main entrance is at the north side of the plaza, facing the fountain. For more information, visit nyphil.org.
Upcoming Events at New York Philharmonic:
- Open Rehearsal - 06/20/13
- Alan Gilbert, Emanuel Ax, Rouse, and Wagner - 06/20/13 - 06/22/13
- A Dancer's Dream: Two Works by Stravinsky - 06/27/13 - 06/29/13
- Summertime Classics: Star-Spangled Celebration - 07/03/13 - 07/04/13
- Summertime Classics: The Planets - An HD Odyssey - 07/05/13 - 07/07/13
- Concerts in the Parks - 07/10/13
- New York Philharmonic Concert - 07/10/13
- Concerts in the Parks - 07/11/13
- Concerts in the Parks - 07/13/13
- Concerts in the Parks - 07/14/13
- Concerts in the Parks - 07/15/13
- Concerts in the Parks - 07/16/13
- Opening Gala with Yo-Yo Ma - 09/25/13
- Bernstein's West Side Story & Tchaikovsky's Piano Concerto No. 1 with Yefim Bronfman - 09/26/13 - 09/28/13
- Bernstein's West Side Story & Tchaikovsky's Piano Concerto No. 1 with Yefim Bronfman - 10/01/13
- Alan Gilbert Conducts Strauss and Rouse - 11/14/13 - 11/16/13
- Alan Gilbert Conducts Strauss and Rouse - 11/19/13
- Anne-Sophie Mutter - 12/10/13
- Rafael Fruhbeck de Burgos Conducts Beethoven and Strauss - 12/12/13 - 12/14/13
- Holiday Brass - 12/15/13
- A Broadway Christmas with Brian Stokes Mitchell - 12/20/13 - 12/21/13
- New Year's Eve - 12/31/13
- Yefim Bronfman, Lindberg, Rouse, and Tchaikovsky's Symphony No. 5 - 01/02/14 - 01/03/14
- Rouse, Tchaikovsky's Symphony No. 5, and Beethoven's Piano Concerto No. 1 with Yefim Bronfman - 01/04/14
- Yefim Bronfman, Lindberg, Rouse, and Tchaikovsky's Symphony No. 5 - 01/07/14
- A Farewell to Concertmaster Glenn Dicterow - 01/19/14
- Stravinsky, Tchaikovsky, and Mozart's Bassoon Concerto with Andrey Boreyko - 01/22/14
- Andrey Boreyko Conducts Stravinsky, Zemlinsky's The Mermaid, and Mozart's Bassoon Concerto - 01/23/14 - 01/25/14
- Artist-in-Residence Yefim Bronfman in Recital - 03/30/14
- Composer-in-Residence Christopher Rouse's Requiem at Spring for Music - 05/05/14